Monday, April 19, 2010

ANZAC is coming...

Next Sunday (25 April) is a big day in our house. Not only will we celebrate Ammon's 2nd Birthday a couple days early, but it is also ANZAC Day.

Over the past few years Nate and I have developed a love and a deep respect for the day and what it stands for. For those of you unfamiliar with ANZAC Day it is "a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand to honour members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC)who fought at the Battle of Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I. It now more broadly commemorates all those who died and served in military operations for their countries."

Due to having small children at home, Nate has gone to the dawn services without me, but takes the kids as they get old enough. They enjoy it and look forward to going.

As I do more and more family history, I have discovered ancestors who have served in the military, which in turn makes the day more and more meaningful. One of these is my Great-Grandmother's brother: Ngaope Hoia Te Rauhiri Karawhata (aka Soldier Crawford) as Hoia in Maori means soldier and Karawhata in English is Crawford. A fitting name though.


He was born in 1916 and lived in Waihau Bay on the East Coast of NZ. He served in World War II in 1943 in the 28th (Maori) Battalion in Egypt and Italy. His brother Tui also served with him. They served with Nepia Mahuika from Ngaruawahia and his Son-in-law is who Ammon is named after.

The book "Nga Tama Toa" has made for interesting reading and I was really glad that Emerson gave it to me for Christmas. It has Hoia's picture in there, and I found this one of his brother in the 1943 Battalion Tug-of-war team (he is left bottom row):








Hoia died in 1980.

2 comments:

mum said...

That is so interesting about Hoia. And being able to see a photo like this is great. Thank you.
I know how much the girls like going to the Dawn service, even though it can be pretty cold.

Jacinda said...

I'm taking my girls to the Army Camp. It'll be a 5am start for us, so not sure if we'll make it to church afterwards. I'm guessing the girls will go back to bed afterwards. We'll see. You're doing well with the family history. Neat that you found a photo to go with the story.