Monday, April 26, 2010

Ammon's 2nd Birthday

It is officially Ammon's birthday tomorrow, but I decided to have the party yesterday while it was still daytime and people didn't have to rush home from work.

Ammon's cake was easy - a banana one that I copied off my friend Renee. I was pleased with it and he seemed to like it which is the main thing. Although I forgot about it in the oven so it was a bit drier than I wanted. Oh well.
Ammon loved his presents. A plate set from Brooke/Elisa, a basketball set and book from Nanny/Papa, bubble machine from Leah, transformers sleeping bag from Emerson, a helicopter from Mummy, a fire engine from Daddy, a Thomas book from Aston and a helicopter & driver set from Ryan/Logan (I think he way prefers their helicopter to Mummy's!).
On Saturday we moved him into a big bed and he is enjoying that - sleeping fabulously in it. In the next few days we will put the top bunk on it, and Leah will be moving in with him. For now Emerson will sleep with the baby in her room, but if it doesn't work out we'll look at swapping her.
Ammon and I have had a wonderfully lazy day today, recovering from a very busy weekend. Saturday we got Ammon's new bed, printed off handouts for church, dropped the kids at Mum's to play with Elisa and Brooke, watched Nate play (and win) rugby, cleaned my work, picked up Kirtland to stay the night, organised the anzac devotional, shopped for the devotional supper and cleaned the house, oh and nursed Leah after she started vomiting. Sunday Nate took Emerson and Kirtland to the dawn service then went to church, I stayed home with the two sick kids and cleaned a bit more of the house, decorated his cake, prepared his party, had his party, then went to the anzac devotional at church that we organised. We were so tired when we got home! So today definitely called for a day off! Poor Nate - he had to go to work.
It is not often that Ammon tells you that he loves you. Today I was singing him the Barney song: I love you, you love me, we're a happy family, with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you, won't you say you love me too?
Whenever I sing that to him he gives me a hug and a kiss in time with the song. At the end I ask him if he loves me. Normally Ammon's yes is a "mmm". This time he looked at me and said "I love Daddy". As clear as that. It made my heart squeeze.
Then he carried on "I love Nanny, I love Leah, I love Emmy, I love Elisa, I love Nanny, I love Papa". No mention of Mummy still, but oh so wonderful to hear him say it all so clearly and so uninvited.
I'm having a good day.

6 comments:

Jacinda said...

Glad to hear the party went well, and that he's feeling better. We like the Barney song at our house too. How did the ANZAC devotional go? What did you end up doing for it?

Janferay said...

It was good. Nate showed a 15 minute video clip, then we had 3 youth speakers, 2 leader speakers then a guest speaker. All spoke of ancestors who served. Closed and had supper - anzac biscuits, banoffie pie, caramel donuts, banana cake and milo. Yum!

Jacinda said...

Yum! Glad it was a success.

mum said...

He mightn't say I love mummy but guess who he wants when he's off colour? He is such a fabulous little boy. He really seemed to appreciate each present. On Saturday he couldn't wait to use his new dinner set at lunchtime. Hope his sore tummy didn't turn into any new health problem. Thought he might puke in the Warehouse.

Janferay said...

No sign of the sore tummy when we got home, go figure what that was all about. I think maybe he was just hungry.

Yvette said...

Wow, what a busy weekend you had. No wonder you're ready for a slower day! Glad to hear Ammon likes his gifts.