Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Reading

I have been going to book club with a group of friends from church for a few months now. We decided not to all read the same book, just share what we were reading, what we had at home that we liked or recommended and to be introduced to and try new authors and genre's we wouldn't try otherwise.
I chose to read THE BRONZE HORSEMAN by Paullina Simons. You can check it out here but the gist of it is a young girl meets a soldier the day war starts in Russia, and what they endure before and after they get together.
I enjoyed alot of the historical/factual side of it, what it was like to endure the weather, food rations, blockades, living conditions and the way of life. I liked the romance that develops despite it all and the challenges they overcome.
I think I learned alot from the character Tatiana, about the kind of person she was (in particular towards Alexander) and the strength she had and how she got through her trials. Of course it IS a love story and there was a fair bit of love in the story but as a whole it was really really good. It's the kind I just wanted to read and read - my poor neglected family! Didn't help that I read book 2 (The Bridge to Holy Cross) and book 3 (The Summer Garden) straight after that! Lucky them I don't have my hands on book 4 yet huh?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the books from? The library? Think I might read them too.
Our book club used to have someone recommend a book that we all tried to find to read during the month. This year we subscribed to a club that send 10 copies or so of one book each month. We originally chose the books from a list but we can be given a different book if the one we chose is not available that month. Seems to be working okay. At least we're trying new authors and genres.

Anonymous said...

It wasn't anonymous, it was mum!

Janferay said...

I did wonder!
I have enjoyed the books so much I just bought them off trademe. I'll get them maybe Tuesday or Wed next week. I had borrowed them off a friend but they are available at the library (although all out when I looked).

Jacinda said...

The last 'book' I read was the Ensign, and that was because Elisa was asleep in my lap this morning and I couldn't go anywhere. LOL. Glad to hear you're enjoying your bookclub. I really should get back into reading again, but my spare time is all spent on here.

Gran Denny said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Book Club